Eligibility: If you have a valid Manitoba driver’s license, you are eligible for the Manitoba Public Insurance Financing program. You have to be the registered owner of the vehicle that the tires are being bought for.
- Step 1: Pick out your tires.
- Step 2: Book your appointment and get your tires installed.
No payment is required at the time of installation. Once the tires are installed, you will receive a printout of your loan information.
Payment Process: An Autopac agent will process the loan and mail your payment schedule and further loan information. Choose monthly payments, or contact your Autopac agent for information on alternative methods (such as preauthorized payments). If your total purchase amount exceeds $2,000, you will be required to pay the excess balance at the time of installation.
Book an appointment with us here or call 204-338-7985, and bring a valid driver’s license and your VIN with you to your appointment. We will take care of all the paperwork for you. This program makes buying and paying for winter tires in Winnipeg a quick and simple process. If you have further questions, see below for our FAQs:
MPI Winter Tire Program FAQs:
Why is this program being offered?
On March 6, 2014, the Manitoba government announced a program to make winter tires more accessible to Manitoba drivers. Eligible Manitobans can receive a low-interest loan at prime plus two per cent* through Manitoba Public Insurance to finance winter tires and associated costs.
Who is eligible for the program?
To be eligible, you must be an individual (not corporate) Manitoba Public Insurance customer without a financing restriction, without any outstanding arrears and you must have an active passenger vehicle or light truck policy. Only the registered owner of the vehicle can apply for a winter tire loan.
What items are eligible for financing through the Winter Tire Program?
Only tires displaying the peaked mountain and snowflake symbol as established by Transport Canada and the Rubber Association of Canada are eligible to be financed. A list of approved tires is available here.
Along with approved tires, related components may also be added to the loan.
Can be financed:
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System (if required)
- addition of studs to tires (some limitations apply)
- mounting and balancing
- applicable taxes and fees
- switchover costs (if paid during initial purchase)
- storage costs (if paid during initial purchase)
Cannot be financed:
- tire repair (punctures, flat tires, etc.)
- warranty or roadside assistance
- switchover costs (if not part of the initial purchase)
- storage costs (if not part of the initial purchase)
What do I need to provide to the tire retailer?
When starting the loan authorization process with a Winter Tire Program participating retailer, you will be required to:
- provide your vehicle registration certificate and your drivers licence or identification card
- select a financing term between one and four years and a monthly payment withdrawal day
- choose between using the existing banking or credit card information on your Manitoba Public Insurance account, or have your Autopac agent contact you for the information
- provide your phone number and preferred Autopac agent
- read and sign the loan information (including applicable interest rate), Preauthorized Payment Agreement, promissory note and terms and conditions
What will my monthly payments be?
Here is a chart to help you estimate what your monthly payments will be, based on the amount you choose to finance:
Are there any additional fees?
You will be charged a one-time $4 administration fee per loan, which will be included in the amortized loan amount.
When will I receive my payment schedule?
Once your Autopac agent processes your application, you will be mailed a payment schedule along with a copy of the form you signed with your tire retailer.